NuFW.Live is an authenticating firewall that is based on Knoppix. “It was developed as a means of testing NuFW. NuFW, an enterprise grade firewall that performs an authentication of every single connection passing through the IP filter.”
Origin – Home Page: France – NuFW.Live
Management Interface: Web-based gui
Price: Free to use and distribute. NuFW,Live is developed by INL, an Open Source security company based in France. The company sells the EdenWall authenticating firewall appliance of which NuFW is a major component.
Key Features: As an authenticating firewall, NuFW performs the following functions:
- Authenticate any connection that goes through your gateway or only from/to a chosen subset or a specific protocol (iptables is used to select the connections to authenticate)
- Perform accounting, routing and quality of service based on users and not simply on uses IP addresses
- Filter packets based on application, operating system, and other user info
- Be the key of a secure and simple Single Sign On system
NuFW.Live contains the following components:
- NuFW 2.2: It adds identity-based filtering rules to Netfilter
- Nulog 2: Powerfull firewall log analysis web interface
- Nuface 2: ACLs management interface
- pyctd: Netfilter connection tracking display and modification interface
Comments: The main component of NuFW.Live, NuFW, can be installed as a firewall script on Debian, Ubuntu, and Sabayon Linux. For distros that lack an integrated firewall, NuFW is a good candidate for a firewall to protect your installation from the bad guys. Check your distros repository to see if NuFW is available for it.
Download/Buy: NuFW.Live is available for download from the projects home page.