What Needs to Improve?: Zenwalk is a decent distro, but it still has some ways to go before we start comparing to the major distros. Only one of the improvements I suggested in my last review was addressed, and that was not even taken to completion: Firestarter, a graphical frontend to IPTables, comes pre-installed. That’s good, but one more step remains. It has to be enabled and configured out of the box.
Here are other recommendations that were made previously, but not yet addressed:
- Zenwalk will take a giant step forward if the installer provides support for setting up LVM, RAID, and disk encryption.
- A graphical installer wiould be an excellent addition.
- Have a browser other than Iceweasel/Icecat installed. If you don’t want to install it by default, have Mozilla Firefox in one of the Restricted repositories.
- Whichever browser is installed, load it with all the multimedia plugins it needs.
- I think all desktop distros need an application like Kaptan, a welcome application on Pardus. That is a program that will run on first bootup to help a user customize different aspects of the operating system.
- Adding a printer on Zenwalk is easy, but coding the system to auto-configure it will make for a better user experience.
- Zenwalk Update Tool has to be installed by default, it has to just work, and it has to be a “startup” application.
Let’s hope that most of these suggestions are implemented in the next release. Until then, there are more reviews and tutorials to write. Check back often, or just subscribe to this site via RSS or email.
Digital Ocean is a VPS/Cloud hosting provider. For just $5 per month, you can get yourself a Cloud server with 512 MB of RAM, 20 GB super-fast SSD, free snapshots, plus backups for a minimal fee. All via a simple graphical interface.
And by signing up with this referral link, you can help support this website.
If you are reading this, your ad could also be occupying this space. Contact us to make it happen.