');

Related Articles

1. 30

jrs

hey dude.. mint 9 gonna have their own live usb creator software where you can install mint 9 to usb live and run your fave programs anywhere you go!!….

I did a sweet back up for my friend’s computer cuz she is getting tired of vista lol…. only took me 15 min… compare to do back up with vista for hours!

2. 29

Bruce Wagner

The point is not about anything more than:

Some programs written SPECIFICALLY for Ubuntu will not run on LinuxMint.

It’s a simple concept. It’s a simple fact.

1. 29.1

LinuxHistorian

“The point is not about anything more than: Some programs written SPECIFICALLY for Ubuntu…”

And that is the exact problem. Deb files should be compatible with all Debian based distros. One of the greatest strengths of Linux is the compatibility between common based distros base.

Are you advocating that deb based distros splinter and recreate the wheel with every package just as rpm based distros have been doing for the last several years?

The standard deb file definition is one of the key reasons why Debian and Debian based distros have succeeded in the Linux community because all packages are compatible with all deb based distros and now Ubuntu elitists are trying to tear that down by developing non-standard and incompatible deb files.

You can keep your non-standard and incompatible deb files. I stick with the rest of the community and continue to develop compatible packages that can be used on any Debian based distro. Compatibility is the key to growth and development within the Linux community.

Ubuntu’s time in the spotlight is limited. And the key reason Ubuntu will eventually fall is because of the lack of compatibility with other Debian based distros. Deb package developers create for compatibility. Ubuntu package developers develop for Ubuntu. Which means that Ubuntu package developers are recreating the wheel every time they break compatibility. Ubuntu is marginalizing itself and doesn’t even recognize it.

Just remember this, it is the Debian community not the Ubuntu community that creates the stability and security your have on your system. Ubuntu needs Debian and standard deb files to succeed, Debian does not need Ubuntu.

2. 29.2

JRS

I just tried ubuntu 10 LTS…. the installation was awful!!!… I had to lick back to mint 8 and awaits for full release of Mint 9…

computing should come easy for everybody.. that why there is mint linux available as ubuntu were not easier than you think… ubuntu is more like fedora while mint is more elegance than you can see in ubuntu.. play along!

1. 29.2.1

finid

Are you forgetting that Mint and Ubuntu use the same installer?

3. 29.3

Ryan Peters

“The point is not about anything more than:

Some programs written SPECIFICALLY for Ubuntu will not run on LinuxMint.

It’s a simple concept. It’s a simple fact.”

A simple concept that would work if we were talking about Windows/Mac, yes. Linux, though? What sense would it make for Linux-based operating systems to be so highly incompatible with each other? I can download and run any Linux program I want on Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu, Arch, or OpenSUSE and it will work the same on EVERY OS as long as they follow upstream standards. Ubuntu is not so different from any other Linux OS to be completely incompatible with everything else and vice versa.

3. 28

LinuxHistorian

What’s the crap about Mint not being 100% Ubuntu while Super OS is? First off, being 100% Ubuntu isn’t even possible since Ubuntu isn’t an independent distro. Ubuntu is based on Debian. Should we be complaining that since Ubuntu isn’t 100% Debian then is shouldn’t even be used.

Get off your high horse. Linux is the end all, be all of Operating Systems. Linux is everything to everybody. But not in any one single distro. If you only want to use 100% Ubuntu distros then you’ve got a real problem because Ubuntu isn’t even 100% Ubuntu. It’s Debian with some changes.

4. 27

JRS

hey Bruce…. and by the way.. I am sorry I didn’t leave anything.. I was soooo busy with mint linux.. lol.. anyway let me point it out to you Bruce…

long time ago 5 years ago I used fedora, then I moved to ubuntu.. then saw super OS.. from hacktolive.org…. I used it.. cuz of codecs.. now now..theres Gosilia OS.. I freaked out and liked the dockbarx then I realized.. mint linux is what I need its right off the bat with codecs, add some restrictions add on like backup copies.. etc all that.. Mint Linux is wonderful for all newbies.. maybe ubuntu is for you Bruce go ahead lay a bricks of codes if youw want.. Mint linux is a wall of nice cutting edgy smoothie graphics right off after installation.. I feel like a home already lol..eveything here is right there where I want it to be… but with ubuntu.. I has to lay the bricks to put where I want it to be.. feel me? cheers to mint linux… I’m brace myself for a good ride of MInt linux 9 which is based on ubuntu 10 so no problem!! let me say it plain and simple.. if ubuntu has done what mint linux has done since…. then we would have uses ubuntu all the way.. agreed?

5. 26

Luckey

The Grub that came with Linux Mint 7 Gloria worked well for me. That changed with Mint 8 Helena.

Tried Ubuntu 9.10, but it uses the same bootloader which means it has the same problems dual-booting with Windows.

6. 25

Timmi

THE ARTICLE NEEDS SOME CORRECTIONS:
    1. Mint will transfer settings from anything that is on there, including windows.
    2. Mint DOES notify you of pending updates… out of the box. The author obviously overlooked the icon for that (the open or closed lock).

And my comments:
    Mint do waaaayyyy more stability testing than they do at ubuntu. I wish both teams were one, because Mint could simply help Ububtu be better. And I don’t see the point of all this elitism from people who use ubuntu and never even tried mint because they were convinced they were identical.
    When I started with Linux, I couldn’t believe that a Linux for the people isn’t people-friendly!
    As someone coming over from windows, I was made to feel that the Linux (ubuntu) community didn’t want 99% of computer users, and want to keep linux to themselves – a handful of computer experts – and send us back to where we came from: back into the arms of MS windows.
    So I turned to Mint for my wifi card to work out of the box, media to just play, etc.

7. 24

Bruce Wagner

One example of programs developed for Ubunutu which do NOT work with Mint: Remastersys

1. 24.1

Timmi

remastersys doesn’t work on my ubuntu either… what good is it if it’s buggy?

8. 23

pazuzu

Since I like better KDE, I tried kubuntu 9.10, and I’m sorry to say that the plasma desktop crashed. Frequently. I’m using mint 8 KDE edition and I haven’t had any problem with it. It is superb, works like a charm.
    And btw, Bruce, please specify examples of ubuntu software that doesn’t work in mint.

9. 22

Ryan Peters

I would like to point out that since Linux Mint is almost exactly the same as Ubuntu, it has virtually perfect compatibility with Ubuntu applications (uses the same repositories, so why do you say it’s not fully compatible?)

Another thing I found lacking: When I installed Mint 8 in a VM the other day, there was a lock icon in the corner telling me of my available updates. Maybe you should check for that on a fresh install? So you can remove it as a plus for Ubuntu since Mint has it (and better).

Last comment: The USB Startup Disk Creator and Ubuntu One services can be installed with Synaptic (since this uses the Ubuntu repos), so if you want it, it isn’t hard at all to get. I still prefer Dropbox/Unetbootin, but hey the Ubuntu tools are useful as well (especially for persistent storage on the USB Startup Disk Creator application).

Yes, some things like themes in Mint are do-it-yourself, but it has just the right balance of usability and familiarity that Ubuntu doesn’t have for me to recommend it.

10. 21

Hydra

Sorry Bruce, but you are wrong. Linux Mint will run all programs that run on Ubuntu with no exceptions. The problem is that Ubuntu will not run all programs made for Mint. Stop trying to pimp an alternative such as Super OS. Besides, Super OS is nothing more than a rip off of Ultimate Edition.

11. 20

Bruce Wagner

Yeah… But… Linux Mint is no longer Ubuntu.

What I mean is… they have changed it so much, that some Ubuntu software will no longer work with Mint!

That’s a very very bad thing.

It needs to be 100% Ubuntu… and it’s NOT any more…

Instead of Linux Mint, I am not loving more… and recommending often… “Super Ubuntu” aka “Super OS” (see http://hacktolive.org/wiki/Super_OS )

1. 20.1

finid

Sorry, Bruce. If Super OS is 100% Ubuntu, why not just use Ubuntu? I’ll not recommend Super OS to anyone.

1. 20.1.1

Bruce Wagner

Maybe I wasn’t clear.

Super OS is 100% Ubuntu, plus all the media codecs you need.

Mint is NOT 100% Ubuntu. It does not run ALL applications written for Ubuntu!

Therefore, recommend Super OS (aka Super Ubuntu).

Do NOT recommend Linux Mint. People will have more and more problems with Mint due to its incompatibility with real Ubuntu.

2. 20.1.2

Timmi

Bruce read anywhere, and aside from certain additions, Mint is built on Ubuntu. Anyone who says otherwise just isn’t in the know. The only way you can say Mint is NOT 100% ubuntu, is by saying it is 105% Ubuntu because it finishes the job that ubuntu did not: give us a true linux that’s people-friendly.

2. 20.2

JRS

umm left ya a comment on the top.. u ll see where I left it off.. lol

3. 20.3

Ryan Peters

First of all, “100% Ubuntu” is a BAD thing because they patch applications downstream. The more upstream-compatible a distribution is, the easier it is to run applications made to work with upstream. Second, Mint is 150% Ubuntu. Linux Mint and Super OS HAVE THE EXACT SAME GOALS! Super OS is no less Ubuntu than Mint is. Lets compare, shall we?

1: Linux Mint and Super OS both use the official Ubuntu repositories.
      2: Linux Mint and Super OS both have different default software and configurations than Ubuntu.
      3: Any application made to run on “vanilla” Linux can run without much difficulty on Linux Mint and Super OS, as well as Ubuntu.
      4: Since Linux Mint and Super OS BOTH use the OFFICIAL UBUNTU PACKAGES than anything that is GUARANTEED to work on Ubuntu Linux WILL WORK on Linux Mint or Super OS since they are BASED ON IT.

Ubuntu Tweak, Remastersys, PPAs, and several “Ubuntu-only” things work perfectly on BOTH OSs. Get your facts straight before you make claims like that.

PS: Linus Mint 9 is out today. BASED ON UBUNTU 10.04.

12. 19

Maxwell

I’ve recommended Linux Mint 8 sooooooo many times now that I’m starting to sound like a friggin parrot. So here goes: Linux Mint 8 rocks!

I wrote about my move from Ubuntu 9.10 here:
    FROM UBUNTU TO LINUX MINT

1. 19.1

blegs38552

Maxwell – I would like to see how you made you move from Ubuntu to Linux Mint. However, you do not appear to have a live link on your posting. I am currently running Ubuntu 10.4 on a dual boot Win 7 laptop and would be interested in knowing how you went from one distro to another.

Also, for those who say that some Ubuntu apps to not run on Mint, could you please be specific and give some examples? I am considering going from Ubuntu 10.4 to Mint 9 when it is released, but would like to have this information before I commit.

13. 18

_khAttAm_

@Fimby
    “That being said, Linuxmint is Ubuntu with all the bugs fixed.”
    I agree that 9.10 is not as stable. The shipped version is full of small problems. But that can be explained. They wanted major changes on 9.10 so that they could make it more stable and better in 10.04. Its just six months and you have Ubuntuforums and Google (or now Yahoo :)) anyways. But I agree it could have been done better.

And about Linuxmint being the bug fixed version of Ubuntu, let me tell you it is not. It uses the same repos for all of its software. It has made different choices in some cases and added a very few packages. It does not fix Ubuntu bugs, however it can choose stable software over buggy ones that Ubuntu includes for innovation.

1. 18.1

spuffler

With all the bugs ‘fixed’…?

In 2008, PCLinuxOS was able to configure this PCs Broadcom based wifi card 2 ways – on the live CD and after I installed the OS to my hard disk. In 2010, not a single version of Ubuntu 9.04 (as in UNR 9.04, Kubuntu 9.04, Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit), not one Ubuntu 9.10 (UNR 9.10, Kubuntu 9.10, Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit) was able to do the same. A bug, to me, is when 2 years pass by and still the successful solutions of one more obscure distribution (and I’m not saying PCLinuxOS was original here) are not implemented in the more popular distros. After all, PCLinuxOS is as GPL as Ubuntu, developers can just get the PCLinuxOS solution and legally reverse engineer (or copy) it.

OTOH, Mint… when I tried version 3.0, it ran doggedly slow. I have a Celeron D 64 bit, 3.33 GHz, I know how fast this box can be and Mint was far from that milestone. Mint acted as if I had installed every possible option on the planet; Mint 3.0 compares to SuSe 9.2 Professional installed, with about every package installed, on the hard disk.

Ability to play every type of media? I’ve only used 9.04 and 9.10 of Ubuntu, I found it rather easy to install the missing codecs: simply play an unsupported media, and Ubuntu asks you if you want to search for the codecs. Assuming you have a live internet access, after the search completes, Ubuntu offers you a list, just select everything that is offered and click submit… That is actually 2 clicks, but a simple yes/no selection is the first click.

14. 17

Bruce Wagner

No one has even mentioned the MOST IMPORTANT features of Mint (in our opinion)… and that is: The ability to play every type of media — streaming or on disk — be it video, audio, CD, DVD,… all of it… right “out of the box”.

No more re-booting because PulseAudio is f-ed up again!

This is CRITICAL!

All those tools, apps, etc are nice too…

But being able to install, and media WORKS…. is absolutely ESSENTIAL for Ubuntu to even be VIABLE…!!!

That is what we need: ONE BUTTON… within Ubuntu… which would turn Ubuntu into the MEDIA PLAYING POWERHOUSE that Mint is.

( If it is a button, with an “OK, I Agree, this proprietary junk is legal in my jurisdiction…blah blah blah…” bs attached, there can be no legal consequences for Canonical.. Right? )

1. 17.1

rwright

Bruce, the codecs that are pre-installed on linux mint have been mentioned over and over again, that is the reason it’s said to be a novice distro, saves that work. However, with gecko media player install, the novice will have to jump through hoops to install and play real player 11, there is not this problem when totem is used with the plugins. Just thought I’d add my two cents.

1. 17.1.1

finid

Rather than use “novice” to describe Mint or any other distro, why not use user-friendly. Even seasoned users do not want to spend time doing what the distro’s dev should have taken care of. But that’s an aside.

15. 16

Robin

MintMenu looks like a “plagiarized” version of Gimmie (http://beatniksoftware.com/gimmie/Main_Page), as Mint is “plagiarized Ubuntu” with green paint and multimedia codecs. Of course in the FOSS world I suppose there’s really no such thing as plagiarism, but it seems unethical to take Canonical’s name off the number one Linux distro, put some green paint on it and call it a whole ‘nother “distro.” Especially if you rig it up to be an automated fund raiser with at Google default thing Mint uses.

That said though, Mint is super-easy for newbies, and the Xfce community edition is superb on older hardware.

But for ETHICAL reasons I won’t use nor recommend Linux Mint, ever. Especially now after the great Linux Mint political train wreck (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2346637,00.asp). And the bothersome fact that merely USING Linux Mint brings money to it (because of that built-in Google thing).