The March 2010 issue of BSD Magazine, a free, online magazine for the BSD community, is now available for download. The theme for this edition is “BSD as a Desktop.” The following are some of the articles you’ll find inside:
- Build Your Own FreeBSD Update Server – Experienced users or administrators responsible for several machines or environments, know the difficult demands and challenges of maintaining such an infrastructure. The article outlines the steps involved in creating an internal FreeBSD Update Server.
- Using OpenBSD and PF as a Virtual Firewall for Windows – The Windows firewall, by default, has many open ports to the local network, like the file and print sharing service ports, which are the source of many security holes. How to protect a Windows host with a basic configuration of an OpenBSD virtual machine with PF as a NAT router and firewall?
- Keeping FreeBSD Applications Up-To-Date – An important system administration task, and a principle of running a defensible network, is keeping operating systems and applications up-to-date. In this article you will find multiple ways how to complete this task.
- BSD Live Desktops – Last week Zafer Aydogan, founder of Jibbed, and Stefan Rinkes, founder of GNOBSD, agreed to talk with Jesse Smith about their projects (from which BSD community will surely benefit), themselves and BSD.
- BSD goes to the Office: Can BSD compete in a real life consulting workplace? – There are many articles that expound on the succes of Linux as desktop, and quite a few accounts of using a Linux desktop in this case or that case. But this one is written not from a perspective of a journalist or home user, but from a system administration and consulting perspective.
Get your free download here.
Digital Ocean is a VPS/Cloud hosting provider. For just $5 per month, you can get yourself a Cloud server with 512 MB of RAM, 20 GB super-fast SSD, free snapshots, plus backups for a minimal fee. All via a simple graphical interface.
And by signing up with this referral link, you can help support this website.
If you are reading this, your ad could also be occupying this space. Contact us to make it happen.