Today we are announcing the project release of MeeGo v1.0. This release provides developers with a stable core foundation for application development and a rich user experience for Netbooks. The MeeGo Netbook user experience is the first to appear, with the development of the MeeGo Handset user experience moving to the open in June.
Releases are planned on a six month cadence. MeeGo v1.1 will be released in October and it will include support for touch-based devices, such as Handsets, Tablets, and In-Vehicle Infotainment systems. The development tree for MeeGo v1.1 is now open and we will start releasing various components in the v1.1 tree, including opening the development of the handset user experience in June.
We are now releasing the MeeGo API which includes Qt 4.6, the MeeGo SDK with an integrated application development environment, and various other operating system tools. Currently, the MeeGo SDK is focused on Netbooks, but the next version of the MeeGo SDK, an early developer release in June, will support touch-based devices, such as Handsets and Tablets.
The MeeGo Netbook User Experience includes:
- Visually rich Netbook user experience, building on the latest open source technologies.
- Instant access to your synchronized calendar, tasks, appointments, recently used files and real-time social networking updates through the home screen.
- Aggregation of your social networking content. This allows you to see your social networking activities on one screen, easily interact with your friends, and update your status and site information.
- For a fast and rich Internet experience the MeeGo Netbook user experience integrates Google Chrome or, if you prefer a fully open source browser solution, Google Chromium is also provided. Soon we will be releasing the MeeGo Handset user experience which will use the Fennec Mozilla Browser.
- Easy to use applications for email, calendar and media player.
- Highly optimized for power and performance.
- Languages: Japanese, Korean, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Swedish, Polish, Finnish, Italian, Brazilian Portuguese, French, German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, English, British English
The MeeGo v1.0 Core Software Platform Features include:
- Kernel based on 2.6.33
- DeviceKit and udev for interacting with hardware devices
- Modern 2D / 3D graphics stack including Kernel Mode Setting, non-root X
- Voice and data connectivity with Connman connection manager, Ofono telephony stack and BlueZ Bluetooth
- Qt 4.6
- Universal Plug and Play (gUPnP)
- Media frameworks
- Next generation file system BTRFS, as the default file system
The following MeeGo v1.0 images are available for download:
- MeeGo v1.0 for Netbooks (includes the full MeeGo v1.0 Netbook user experience) supports Intel Atom-based Netbooks. More details can be found in the Netbook release notes.
- MeeGo v1.0 core software platform for the Nokia N900 . More details can be found in the Core release notes.
Many thanks to the Nokia MeeGo team, Intel MeeGo Team, Novell SuSE team, and of course the many contributors from the MeeGo community – and last but not least… all the contributions from the various upstream projects in freedesktop.org, x.org, kernel.org … please tell us there’s someone else to thank
Digital Ocean is a VPS/Cloud hosting provider. For just $5 per month, you can get yourself a Cloud server with 512 MB of RAM, 20 GB super-fast SSD, free snapshots, plus backups for a minimal fee. All via a simple graphical interface.
And by signing up with this referral link, you can help support this website.
If you are reading this, your ad could also be occupying this space. Contact us to make it happen.