Related Articles

1. 29

Valeri

Thank you .I used to have a problem with the dual boot but now it’s solved :)

2. 28

cyberst0rm

Great simple solution. I have been running ubuntu on Vmware workstation within Windows 7. Been running super stable, but I always wanted the dual boot solution. I prefer it actually.

3. 27

QASIM

thnkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkks
    very veryyyyyyyyy muchhhhhhhh

4. 26

Kat

Thanks for a really clear example of how to set up multiple partitions, with an idea of sizes… the screenshots really help, too. I couldn’t remember how to set up my swap space. My new install of Ubuntu has been working like a charm. I set up my /home on my secondary partition.

5. Pingback: Dual-boot Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7 | TurboLinux Blog

6. 25

Sean

Spectacular guide. Lots of screenshots and very detailed.

You have my thanks, great job!

7. Pingback: Installing Windows 7 is tough! - Digit Technology Discussion Forum

8. 24

finid

Wondering whether you can dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu or any other Linux distribution on an external hard drive? See this post for the answer

9. 23

George

Symon@sid u really have to stop complaining, i got Windows XP Professional running on the version of virtualbox that supports external devices and its got iTunes installed and can sync my ipod touch with NO ISSUES. So next time, google a fix instead of complaining. 😉

10. 22

cybernestical

Can you use the same method to install ubuntu in the secondary usb external hdisk

1. 22.1

finid

If you are going to install Ubuntu or any other distribution on an external storage, you should not be thinking about dual-booting. That;s not what dual-booting is for. That type of installation should be stand-alone.

11. 21

doomgiver

i think this will work with crunchbang too, because the cruchbang installer is very similar to ubuntu’s.

any thoughts?

1. 21.1

finid

Yep, it should work. The key is to remember where you installed GRUB, and whether you want GRUB or the Windows boot manager to be responsible for dual-booting.

1. 21.1.1

doomgiver

i’d like GRUB to be responsible for dual boot.
        so i shall install it on the /boot partition.
        i hope it works, going to install #! right now. see ya on the other side!

thanks!

1. 21.1.1.1

finid

If you want GRUB to be responsible for dual-booting, then install it on the MBR, not on the boot partition.

1. 21.1.1.1.1

doomgiver

yes, i did that. it works!!!
            but on booting, it didnt show the windows partition, so i ran sudo update-grub. it found the correct settings and i now have a dual booting laptop!!!

thanks finid, i’ve referred your page to all my friends.

12. Pingback: How to dual boot Windows & Ubuntu? - Digit Technology Discussion Forum

13. 20

Mark

Thanks! Nice an easy.

14. 19

Manoj

I had a windows installed. also had WUBI working. Tried installing Ubuntu newly uninstalling wubi. When i did this, I had to lose the 1TB of data because of the ubuntu which used the whole hard disk instead of using the largest partition in the 1 TB drive which was supposed to be used. I never knew that it was formatting the whole drive and installing ubuntu there until i was done with installation and tried to boot into Windows. I never was so sucked up with this ubuntu. I thought it made me love itself. But it failed now.

1. 19.1

doomgiver

ubuntu did not fail. your ignorance did.
      frankly, you should have at least read the install instructions.

i researched for 2 days before installing my first distro(ubuntu). if you had done the same, you would be enjoying it too, not cursing it.