A ‘walled garden’ is the term aptly applied to the last decade of mobile operator services. And Facebook is the generic name aptly applied to the social network revolution of our times.
Wikipedia defines ‘walled gardens’ as referring “to a carrier’s or service provider’s control over applications, content, and media on platforms … and restriction of convenient access to non-approved applications or content”. This has been the common sense approach to operator strategies; build high walls to protect your revenues – which by now we know is becoming irrelevant. Mobile operators are facing market saturation, declining ARPU, higher subscriber acquisition costs (see iPhone), fierce regional competition and viable threats of being replaced by the over-the-top players.
In 2009 alone, global operator ARPU fell by 7.3% year-on-year and is forecasted to further decline around 10% y-o-y according to Strategy Analytics. How come operators – having a ‘social’ network at their very core – have been steadily declining, whereas Facebook has risen to a 600 million user, $35B valuation business in just 7 years? Let’s take a step back.
2010 will probably be known as the year where mobile service innovation has moved squarely to the software domain. Think about the 100,000s of applications against the 10s of operator services launched in the last 2 years. Continue reading …
- What the heck is Fog Computing?
- A $204,000 data-privacy violation fine against a company worth $381 billion!
- Mail.ru launches My.com, offering mail, chat, games and image editor
- YotaPhone. Always-on dual screen, thicker than most, but not by much
- How to deploy OSSEC across a large network of systems from RPMs
- Jolicloud 2 offers a one-stop shop to your social and Cloud storage accounts
- Firefox OS powers the Fireweb and Onetouch Fire
- Samsung Z Tizen OS smartphone and Samsung Tizen OS TV SDK
Subscribe by Email
Sign up to automatically receive the latest articles and tutorials in your Inbox.
Reach out & follow us
- TwitterFollow us on Twitter
- Google PlusJoin a prestigious circle
- RSS FeedSubscribe to our RSS Feed
- EmailReach out to us via email
- Samsung TVs in Africa July 3, 2014
- Milo Moiré and The Script System: Art or nudity for the heck of it? July 3, 2014
- Does mobile phone use affect the brains of teenagers? May 22, 2014
- FDA approves Advantame, a sugar substitute or high-intensity sweetener May 19, 2014
- Ukraine’s declining population May 18, 2014
- A titanosaur is the largest known animal ever to walk the Earth May 18, 2014
- Russia to suspend American GPS sites on Russian territory May 13, 2014
- kazimserhan: Have a look at this: http://www.boyans.net/BootMenuPolicy.h…
- finid: Well, this article is about using a USB stick as the install…
- Sala: Thanks for the article. Installing on an external SSD. I …
- finid: Ok, then, throw that computer you used to write your comment…
- Charlie: Made in China and by Chinese....hell to the NO. No thank yo…