A ‘walled garden’ is the term aptly applied to the last decade of mobile operator services. And Facebook is the generic name aptly applied to the social network revolution of our times.
Wikipedia defines ‘walled gardens’ as referring “to a carrier’s or service provider’s control over applications, content, and media on platforms … and restriction of convenient access to non-approved applications or content”. This has been the common sense approach to operator strategies; build high walls to protect your revenues – which by now we know is becoming irrelevant. Mobile operators are facing market saturation, declining ARPU, higher subscriber acquisition costs (see iPhone), fierce regional competition and viable threats of being replaced by the over-the-top players.
In 2009 alone, global operator ARPU fell by 7.3% year-on-year and is forecasted to further decline around 10% y-o-y according to Strategy Analytics. How come operators – having a ‘social’ network at their very core – have been steadily declining, whereas Facebook has risen to a 600 million user, $35B valuation business in just 7 years? Let’s take a step back.
2010 will probably be known as the year where mobile service innovation has moved squarely to the software domain. Think about the 100,000s of applications against the 10s of operator services launched in the last 2 years. Continue reading …
- A backdoor in all Internet products and services?
- A $204,000 data-privacy violation fine against a company worth $381 billion!
- Mail.ru launches My.com, offering mail, chat, games and image editor
- YotaPhone. Always-on dual screen, thicker than most, but not by much
- How to deploy OSSEC across a large network of systems from RPMs
- Jolicloud 2 offers a one-stop shop to your social and Cloud storage accounts
- Firefox OS powers the Fireweb and Onetouch Fire
- Boeing Black Android smartphone will self-destruct if tampered with
Subscribe by Email
Sign up to automatically receive the latest articles and tutorials in your Inbox.
Reach out & follow us
- TwitterFollow us on Twitter
- Google PlusJoin a prestigious circle
- RSS FeedSubscribe to our RSS Feed
- EmailReach out to us via email
- Infographic: Football – past, present and the future February 19, 2014
- Ethiopian Government is being sued for spying on American citizen February 19, 2014
- Yep, it’s legal to link to free Web content February 15, 2014
- Bone-like material that is lighter than water and as strong as steel February 4, 2014
- A pope, his flock and sex February 3, 2014
- How about a ‘remote kill switch’ on every car January 30, 2014
- Scientists grow embryonic-like stem cells without embryos January 30, 2014
- B K Singh: LMDE 201403 is awsome. It just rocks and I'm an LMDE user fo…
- NICK: You need to set it / not /boot ;) …
- Divik: How much memory you want to allocate to Kali ? For me I h…
- krishna: hi all nice info i am running windows 7 ultimate in c drive …
- Nettikuva: This is a very interesting project. I have been following th…