');

Related Articles

1. 13

Stephane

Hi, thanks for the review!
    I’m wondering if I can install it on my pc, on old AMD Athlon, 1,2 Ghz with only 262 RAM..
    It has a WinTVExpress PAL/SECAM tuner (44806), and that’s almost the only thing I really need to have working… Do you think I can have drivers and WinTV working if I install Gnome 3?
    Many thanks!

2. Pingback: Ubuntu Oneiric: Final Touches « Linux Tidbits

3. 12

Harry

I am Windows 7 user who is willing to switch to a Linux distro. I tried Ubuntu 10 and Linux Mint 11 and like them. Now, as I finally decided to make the full switch, all the main distros are using crap shells. And of course, I don’t want to install a distro with which I will be stuck in the future. So now the decision is very hard for me. Looking for an alternative to the Unity and Gnome 3 garbage. Unity isn’t that bad, I have to say. But after trying the live cd for 2 weeks, too many things got into my way for the simplest tasks. So I tried a Gnome 3 desktop, but it’s even worse — just on another level. Gnome 3 is the stupidest thing I ever tried so far. Ubuntu and Mint went down the hill with their decision to implement these garbage shells. I am currently trying openSUSE with KDE desktop. This seems the only alternative that’s left. Too bad that exactly Linux developers do everything wrong that MS did wrong in the past.

1. 12.1

finid

Yep, KDE is the way to go.

4. 11

quanghuyjm

I install openSUSE 12.1 in Virtualbox and i still can’t make the GNOME 3 GUI work. Still fallback mode. :-(

5. 10

waqas

I recently switched to ubuntu 11.04 and wanted to give unity a try, it felt unresponsive at first but I got the hang of it in 2 to 3 days and started to work my way well through all the complications, I have been reading about gnome 3 shell and how its better than unity so I decided to install it to replace unity and after it it was done I immediately noticed my desktop felt lonely, it felt like I was staring into a wallpaper and not my desktop, im just not one of those people who like a clean desktop, i missed the unity bar immediately, the no minimize button is also confusing in gnome, to me unity maintains some of the old features while bringing in a lot of new ones at the same time and it seems to me like a nice change, im sure unity will develop over time and it will surely stand out

6. 9

oz

gnome 3 is way better than unity. ubuntu will fail for not giving users what they want

7. 8

foobar

Gnome (s)hell is a horrible mess. It’s slow, unusable and just plain ugly.

8. Pingback: Links 11/4/2011: CentOS 5.6, Fedora 15 Beta RC1 | Techrights

9. 7

Marjana

I just hate the new GNOME 3, they totally messed it up, almost as bad as Unity. All this has for the first time made me look at alternatives and so far I’m positively surprised with KDE. I’m starting to like kDE so much that I’m currently trying out various KDE distributions so I can see which one is the best for replacing Ubuntu later.

10. 6

Bruce

Support for older, less powerful computers is a concern that I have with Gnome 3. First of all I read that they will be working to make the graphic requirements lower for the main version. I have not read, but I believe, that they will put some more time into the fallback version, and make it work more like the main version.

11. 5

Marc

GNOME 3 is super-fast and stable. I have the (subjective) feeling that the virtual desktops and the lack of visible application notifiers make it easier to concentrate on the task at hand; you work on one desktop and just forget about the others. Until an incoming mail or something else asks for your attention by sliding in from the bottom of the screen.

12. 4

gonobo

It looks awful and Gnome Shell makes things harder than they used to be. An only thing which looks better is desktop. Applications remained the same. Same ugly icons, ugly theme. Sadly, Gnome Shell is slow and unstable. However, what’s the most irritating is lack of basic features which are important on every usable desktop. There’s no way to change fonts till someone installs third party hack tool. Launching and managing applications became harder too.

13. 3

neeraj

Hi, I have been using Gnome3 on Opensuse from last 3 days and it simply rocks (better than unity). It does add subtle usability to your daily tasks which one doesn’t realize immediately.Its certainly better than Gnome2 and I hope any minor kinks will be ironed out soon.