');

Related Articles

1. 30

danodaning

hey
    i would really want advice on what to do..
    i have ubuntu 12.04 on my hp pavilion dv6… the ubuntu is only in one partition, i want to create other partitions…. is it possible for me to do that without the system crashing????

1. 30.1

finid

Without knowing what partitions you have and how much free space you can recover, it’s hard to say. More info about your system will help.

2. 30.2

Rikki Bond

No… it can’t be done but if u want to install another unbuntu than it’ll b done.

2. 29

Starman982

Yes this was a good explanation. I have used the manual partitoning before but was mixed up on which ones did what and what sizes they needed. This also helped with the order they should be in. Doing a reinstall now on a second drive in a two drive system. The comment about using /home and not having to do a full reinstall to fix a bad / or /boot will be helpful too. I would like to see included at least a brief explanation of the other partition options like /var /usr /tmp and the others that are given. Also what might be good uses of the different types of file systems that are not covered here, the journalling verses ext2, ext3, ext4 and others. If it is covered elsewhere on this site I will have to look it up. I found this page by search engine.

3. Pingback: Partitioning my 256GB HD for Ubuntu 12.04 « Things. Sometimes silly. Always inspiring.

4. 28

Lab Instructor

Thanks a zillion. Really helped me setting up the partition table smoothly.

5. 27

jamie

Well, I am close to installing xubuntu 11.04 on a friends old compaq – i have been working tirelessly to try and get ubuntu and versions of xubuntu to work.

It seems like I needed to set up a partition scheme. I have followed your instructions on here and, even if I encounter problems with the install, I just want to say thanks a lot for a brilliant set of instructions.

One thing I would add though, for each step of the partition maybe just a brief description of what each partition represents.

absolutely great work, all the same – I really appreciate it! thanks :)

1. 27.1

finid

Thank you. Your suggestion will factor into the next tutorial.

6. 26

Ahmad reza

tnx a lot for this guid :)

7. 25

HP

Thanks – helped me get all set up when I hit the “no root file system is defined” error – likely I needed to add a “/” system and format the boot as Ext2.

8. 24

Bruce

Thanks! Best guide and explanation without talking over people’s heads. Told me just what I needed to know. Thanks again!

9. 23

Gareth

Wow! Very informative, just what a newbie like me needed to install Ubuntu correctly on an external drive and NOT over Mac OSX by mistake. It all makes sense, so thanks for explaining the jargon, too.

10. 22

chris

Superb, a little long winded maybe on the preamble, but once you get into the actual bones of it this is a quick and concise explanation that helped me do exactly as i wanted to do.

11. 21

walrusii

Thank you for this guide. I have one question though. Is it necessary to have the root partition be separate from /home?

1. 21.1

finid

No, it is not. You can just create /boot and /, or even just a single root partition.

2. 21.2

chris

It is not required to have a separate partition for /home however doing so can save you some work down the line, if you are tweaking the system a lot and want to reinstall in case of an unrecoverable problem for instance. A separate home partition will save you losing your personal data and make the recovery much less of an ordeal.

12. 20

Lupita

Nice article, I was able to install Ubuntu successfully. However I noticed that my previously installed win7 on the system is gone. I am only worried about my data, is it possible to get them back? I know I should have taken a back up before doing any experiment, but the damage is already done. Any kind of help will be greatly appreciated please let me know if you need any more details.

1. 20.1

finid

Which option did you choose at the disk partitioning option step? Was it “Something else,” “Replace Windows” or “Install alongside Windows”?

If you do not remember, try and see if you can access the Windows partition when you are in Ubuntu. If you do not know how, read http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/01/02/how-to-access-microsoft-windows-files-and-folders-from-linux/

1. 20.1.1

Lupita

Thanks for the reply! I remember I had selected the option “something else”. Still it looks like windows is gone, something might have been messed up during partitioning. Also I read the other article you had mentioned, I do not see any of the windows hard drives in Ubuntu, does that mean all the windows data is lost? Is there any way to recover them?

1. 20.1.1.1

finid

if you installed over Windows, rather than alongside it, then you hosed Windows. If you can, send me a screen shot of Nautilus, the file manager. Send it to the email here.

13. Pingback: Partitioning new disks in Ubuntu Ocelot :: B r i a n H i g g i n s . c o m

14. 19

Danny

Quite usefull. Just have to add that if you have any data on the disc, like windows folders, first you have to edit that partition, make it smaller and select do not use, and than you will get free space where you can do the next steps.

15. 18

SmugAdmin

I am pondering and searching for a scanner which will be beneficial for hand drawn animation.

I need it to… :

be compatible with linux

be quick

great for scanning a lot of drawings

NOT distort or alter the quality of my drawings as I want to put the drawings into finished animation.

I am basically looking for a scanner which will work for my operating system; Ubuntu Linux, and give me the professional quality which you see with television aired 2d animation shows.