Related Articles

1. 45

Ishaan Sahai

I shrunk the C partition to have some free space. Getting into Mint [15] where there is no ‘alongside’ option, I say that my free space read as ‘unusable.’
    I did some research and found that with all HP computers, there are already 4 primary partitions. All are important, so I don’t want to delete them. And 4 is the maximum number of partitions per hard drive.
    I have already installed Ubuntu alongside Windows 7 from before. The ‘alongside’ option was available.
    I could just use Wubi’s ‘inside Windows’ option, but that would require me to uninstall Ubuntu, which I do not want.
    I am not sure what to do.
    Thanks!

1. 45.1

finid

What are the names of the partitions that came with PC. Please post them here.

2. 44

Nick

Does it make a difference if you create the partitions in a different order, such as, boot, root, swap
    instead of boot,swap,root ??

I ask because i read another tutorial some tyime ago that did it in that order

1. 44.1

finid

I’ve seen Swap as the first partition, followed by root. so the order does not seem to matter. However, when dual-booting, the location of the boot partitin relative to the first sector of the hard drive matters, as the system will fail to boot if the boot partition is located way out.

3. 43

Nick Ace

Hi, Im trying to find instruction like this the other way around install mint first then windows 7, I found your tutorial guide -> http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/01/14/manual-disk-partitioning-guide-for-linux-mint-12-kde/ but I cannot find the continuetion of this. please help thanks

1. 43.1

finid

Installing Windows after Linux on the same disk is not recommended. It’s the easiest way to make life difficult for yourself. When attempting to dual-boot, always install Windows first, followed by the Linux distribution.

For Mint, try this article. Other article for Mint are at http://linuxbsdos.com/category/mint.

1. 43.1.1

Nick Ace

thanks, I will trying that right now. thanks

4. 42

tsea

thanks for such a great and easy way to make the things clear. actually I installed Linux mint 14 along with windows xp(already installed and working).but easybcd is showing the same error for me as what is given a few comments below by TRZALICA.i found on net that it doesn’t work for systems having only windows xp(and not windows vista/7 alongside)
    I also couldn’t find any alternate software for easybcd. I tried to manually edit boot.ini file in xp and made an entry for mint by writing ‘ c:\grldr=”Linux mint 14(cinnamon)” ‘ at the end. now on startup, window shows a choice to select between two os but soon I pick “Linux mint 14(cinnamon)”,it gives the following error :

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \system32\hal.dll
    please re-install a copy of the above file.

and then when i click enter,it boots to windows xp. i think it could not locate GRUB and the correction i made in boot.ini file is to check for GRUB at some other location. please give your valuable response about how to make a correct entry for GRUB during windows xp startup. thanks in advance

1. 42.1

tsea

sorry I wrote the error message incorrectly. the following is correct message that I am getting :

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
      \system32\hal.dll
      please re-install a copy of the above file.

1. 42.1.1

tsea

there is written just before \system32\hal.dll. I don’t know even after entering why it didn’t come in above two comments.

1. 42.1.1.1

tsea

omg again!!!!
          why that keyword is not coming in any comment????it is:
          angle bracket start windows root angle bracket end
          then \system32\hal.dll
          not this time please…

5. 41

Terry

I don’t get it. I followed every step to the letter and tried this with LM14, picked the LM option in the MBR and all I seen was the word grub>… Anything?

1. 41.1

finid

If you tell us a few details about your hardware, we could help you out. The size of your partitions, including the Windows partitions. UEFI or non-UEFI motherboard.

1. 41.1.1

Terry

It was installed via a live USB. I’m not too sure about the board, it’s an M2N-SLI board. I made a 50 GB partition for it and I used all the same sizes you did above, except for the /home partition. I just left it to use the rest of the hard drive partiton.

It worked fine with Grub and would dualboot, but I wanted to use the 7MBR. Windows 7 partition was 400 gb or so, it still had the recovery partition that 7 uses for restores.

2. 41.2

Dash

This happened to me. Did you try to install it through the windows installer? It’s going to say that the Kernel must be installed.

Burn the image on a cd and install it using that.

1. 41.2.1

Terry

6. 40

dash

Hey, I followed through your tutorial and I got stuck in a GRUB4DOS and it’s saying that the Kernel has to be installed. I did not install Linux from a disk but from a Windows Installer that was run on a Virtual Disk Mount.

I understand that the Kernel is in the Virtual Disk Files but is there any help you can provide me in accessing that or at least is there an easy way to solve this without having to reinstall Linux?

Thanks!

1. 40.1

finid

I don’t even recommend installing from a Windows installer. Grab an ISO image and install.

1. 40.1.1

dash

Hey thanks for responding. I’m now trying to do it through a disk but every time I create an account during the install, it gives me a username error and it then freezes.

7. 39

TRZALICA

I have one question. I set my partitions like this: /boot, /root, swap, /home and I installed GRUB into /boot partition (don’t want that Windows mess up with GRUB). I want to install LMDE next to Windows XP and I want to know how to do that because there is no solution in style of EasyBCD for Windows XP?? Everything is installed but I can’t see Linux in NTLRD boot menu…
    Please help!!
    Thanks in advance!

1. 39.1

finid

XP is supported in EasyBCD. It is the 2nd option in the “Type” dropdown.

1. 39.1.1

TRZALICA

No, it isn’t supported because when i try to open it in WinXP it said: Error opening BCD registry and than bla-bla and then Please note that EasyBCD requires the Windows Vista/7 bootloader, and will NOT work in XP-only environments.

I need a solution!

8. 38

meaple

TY for this tutorial, really nicely put together.

9. Pingback: Installing Linux with Windows and keeping Windows boot loader - blogs - jarif.iki.fi

10. 37

Doug

Congratulations. This is the best web site i have seen. Very useful. I’ve done the steps and installed successfully the Mint with Win 7 working as dual boot. I just have a doubt: is EasyBCD no free anymore?

1. 37.1

finid

It is free for private use. That means you can download and use it for your own personal use. For business or commercial use, there is a fee. The current link is http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD

11. 36

ozymandias

I’m attempting to install Mint on an HP computer, which restricts the number of available partitions to 4. I have two free partitions- would it be better to do a default install, or is there a way to create sub-partitions?

Thanks bunches.

1. 36.1

finid

This article shows how to do just that. You might also want to read manual disk partitioning guide for Linux Mint 11.

12. 35

rahul

i had install centos. but at time of computer boots it not given any option menu to select a particular os. and windows 7 start directly…….
    now what can i do to see os boot menu ?

1. 35.1

finid

How many partitions did you create for CentOS, and where did you install GRUB?

13. 34

Frombie

I read your tutorial 3-4 times before starting a clean instal of Windows 7 and Mint 12 on a new machine I just had built.

Everything went as smooth as silk,. I then decided to go the whole hog and replace GRUB with BURG. Once again easy to follow and it went smoothly (ignoring my typo on the third command line in the Terminal).

Thank you very much for such clear and concise tutorials. My daughter and I now look forward to exploring and becoming proficient in Linux Mint.

Cheers

14. 33

Surajit

This is a very helpful and clear article. Thanks!

15. 32

Puddin

Can not get Mint 12 to boot from the dual boot menu…goes into grub4dos. no idea why.