Takeoff Launcher is one of my favorite menu styles and I consider it one of 2 cool reasons to use the K Desktop Environment. Though it is not in Fedora’s repository, there is an rpm package that you can install from the project’s website.
In this tutorial, you will read about the steps necessary to install and customize it on Fedora 16 KDE, a Fedora Spin that was previously reviewed on this website (see Fedora 16 KDE review).
It is assumed that you are reading and trying to install this package from a system running Fedora 16 KDE. To download the rpm package, click here. Then click on the Fedora 16 link on that page to download the right package for your platform (there is a 32-bit and a 64-bit package).
The Firefox dialog prompt or window should open. Click OK.
Consider this carefully before clicking Yes. If you are paranoid, you might consider building Takeoff Launcher from source. The source code is available here. You might want to see how I compiled it on Linux Mint 12 KDE by reading how to compile and install Takeoff Launcher on Linux Mint 12 KDE.
After installation, the next task is to add the launcher’s widget to the panel. To do that, right-click on an empty spot on the panel and select Panel Options > Add Widgets. Typing “take” or “takeoff” in the search box should ring up the widget. Double-click on it to add it to the panel. The launcher is ready for business. At this point, you might consider removing the other menu’s icon from the panel.
To access the launcher’s settings utility, right-click on its icon on the panel, and select “Takeoff Settings.” The options that you might want to change are indicated in red. I find that the launcher looks much nicer on the desktop when it is not in fullscreen mode. Also a background image gives it a personal touch, so if you have an image to use, check the option as shown and select the image from your computer. OK.
- Fedora 20 GNOME 3 and KDE preview
- Fedora 20 Cinnamon, KDE and MATE screen shots
- How to install Steam Client on Fedora 20
- Linux Mint 16 “Petra” Cinnamon, KDE and MATE review
- How to install Lekture on Fedora 19 KDE
- How to deploy OSSEC across a large network of systems from RPMs
- GNOME Software preview on Fedora 20 alpha
- How to install HotShots on Fedora 19 and Ubuntu 13.04
Subscribe by Email
Sign up to automatically receive the latest articles and tutorials in your Inbox.
Reach out & follow us
- TwitterFollow us on Twitter
- Google PlusJoin a prestigious circle
- RSS FeedSubscribe to our RSS Feed
- EmailReach out to us via email
- Samsung TVs in Africa July 3, 2014
- Milo Moiré and The Script System: Art or nudity for the heck of it? July 3, 2014
- Does mobile phone use affect the brains of teenagers? May 22, 2014
- FDA approves Advantame, a sugar substitute or high-intensity sweetener May 19, 2014
- Ukraine’s declining population May 18, 2014
- A titanosaur is the largest known animal ever to walk the Earth May 18, 2014
- Russia to suspend American GPS sites on Russian territory May 13, 2014
- finid: See this forum post. …
- finid: I don't think I understand the problem. got any screenshots?…
- sai reddy: How to release the shrink data back to c drive? …
- sai reddy: i am not getting free space option while installing linux as…
- Stig Atle Steffensen: Do not forget Tahoe-LAFS, if you want secure storage, then t…