There are several menu styles available for users of the K Desktop Environment. Virtually all, should be familiar with the Classic menu, the Kickoff menu, and Lancelot. I have recently published several articles on the Takeoff Launcher, and there is, of course, Mandriva’s ROSA Launcher (view some screen shots here).
Today, I bring another menu style to your attention. It is called AppMenu-QML. It is closer in style to Lancelot than to the others, and was coded and currently maintained by Glad Deschrijver. Like every application, it has a few shortcomings, but is quite usable. Installing it is very simple, and the steps involved are the same regardless of the distribution you are using. For this tutorial, Fedora 16 KDE, the KDE Spin of the latest stable version of Feodra, was used.
To install it, click anywhere on the panel, and select Panel Options > Add Widgets. When the widgets panel opens, click on Get New Widgets > Download New Plasma Widgets. On the window that opens, type “appmenu” in the search box. The only result returned should be Appmenu-QML. Click Install button.
After installation, click on Panel Options > Add Widgets again. Then type “qml” into the search field. The AppMenu-QML icon should appear. To add it to the panel, double-click it.
Like all the menus, AppMenu-QML is customizable. To open the settings window, right-click on the icon (of AppMenu-QML) and select Application Launcher (QML) Settings. The main settings page is shown here. From there, you can customize the dimensions and change the icon.
- Homerun: Quite possibly the best app launcher for your desktop
- Fedora 20 GNOME 3 and KDE preview
- GNOME 3 Classic is more of a hybrid desktop
- How to install Steam Client on Fedora 20
- Upgrade Fedora 18 to 19 using fedora-upgrade or FedUp
- Install Steam client on Fedora 18
- How to install Lekture on Fedora 19 KDE
- How to deploy OSSEC across a large network of systems from RPMs
Subscribe by Email
Sign up to automatically receive the latest articles and tutorials in your Inbox.
Reach out & follow us
- TwitterFollow us on Twitter
- Google PlusJoin a prestigious circle
- RSS FeedSubscribe to our RSS Feed
- EmailReach out to us via email
- Infographic: Football – past, present and the future February 19, 2014
- Ethiopian Government is being sued for spying on American citizen February 19, 2014
- Yep, it’s legal to link to free Web content February 15, 2014
- Bone-like material that is lighter than water and as strong as steel February 4, 2014
- A pope, his flock and sex February 3, 2014
- How about a ‘remote kill switch’ on every car January 30, 2014
- Scientists grow embryonic-like stem cells without embryos January 30, 2014
- Anand: Agree. Cinnamon is the ideal desktop for users switching fro…
- Anand: Agree on the issue that Dolphin, by default, does not recogn…
- Sanctimonious Ape: Lindows was never meant to be any more compatible than any o…
- Mental Mouse: I used these instructions to set up my dual-boot system OK. …
- Oydenos: LMDE gives you twice a year ~1.2GiB of upgrade that really w…