There are several menu styles available for users of the K Desktop Environment. Virtually all, should be familiar with the Classic menu, the Kickoff menu, and Lancelot. I have recently published several articles on the Takeoff Launcher, and there is, of course, Mandriva’s ROSA Launcher (view some screen shots here).
Today, I bring another menu style to your attention. It is called AppMenu-QML. It is closer in style to Lancelot than to the others, and was coded and currently maintained by Glad Deschrijver. Like every application, it has a few shortcomings, but is quite usable. Installing it is very simple, and the steps involved are the same regardless of the distribution you are using. For this tutorial, Fedora 16 KDE, the KDE Spin of the latest stable version of Feodra, was used.
To install it, click anywhere on the panel, and select Panel Options > Add Widgets. When the widgets panel opens, click on Get New Widgets > Download New Plasma Widgets. On the window that opens, type “appmenu” in the search box. The only result returned should be Appmenu-QML. Click Install button.
After installation, click on Panel Options > Add Widgets again. Then type “qml” into the search field. The AppMenu-QML icon should appear. To add it to the panel, double-click it.
Like all the menus, AppMenu-QML is customizable. To open the settings window, right-click on the icon (of AppMenu-QML) and select Application Launcher (QML) Settings. The main settings page is shown here. From there, you can customize the dimensions and change the icon.
Related articles you might want to read:
- Install ROSA Launcher on Fedora 18 KDE
- How to straighten out firewall configuration on Fedora 18
- How to dual-boot Fedora 18 and Windows 8 on 1 HDD, with GRUB in a PBR
- Install Steam client on Fedora 18
- Install MATE on Fedora 18
- Dual-boot Fedora 18 and Windows 7, with full disk encryption configured on both OSs
- Triple-boot Windows 7, Ubuntu 12.10 and Fedora 18 on one HDD
- Fedora 18 and fedup
Subscribe by Email
Sign up to automatically receive the latest articles and tutorials in your Inbox.
Reach out & follow us
- TwitterFollow us on Twitter
- Google PlusJoin a prestigious circle
- RSS FeedSubscribe to our RSS Feed
- EmailReach out to us via email
- Windows 8: The most important reason to switch to Linux 41 comments
- Cinnamon proposed to replace GNOME Shell as default DE on Fedora 19 40 comments
- 9 Google Reader alternatives 24 comments
- Upgrading Fedora 17 to 18 with FedUp is elegant, but ... 23 comments
- Ubuntu is not a community distribution 23 comments
- How to dual-boot Fedora 18 and Windows 8 on 1 HDD, with GRUB in a PBR 22 comments
- 4 gui applications for installing Linux from USB key 19 comments
- Fedora 18 (Spherical Cow) review 18 comments
- Hybryde Fusion: A very unique Linux distribution 17 comments
- How to straighten out firewall configuration on Fedora 18 16 comments
- Jeff Strehlow: I take issue with 2 things you said. "American’s foreig…
- Jeff Strehlow: Is this clear enough for you? William Binney a former senior…
- ShaunGeorge: Quote "...Those are bad for your privacy and, with time, eve…
- no daddy: lousy argument. …
- MR. FUBO: Part of the problem is that one of those "reliable journalis…