Related Articles

1. Pingback: Ubuntu, Cinnamon, and ATI | BR Graphic Design

2. 29

Chris

I’ve just installed Ubuntu 12.10 today and immediately followed your nice clear instructions to get Cinnamon. Gnome Classic works fine – so I’ve already got a big improvement over Unity! If I choose Cinnamon at login I’m left with a blank screen. I saw an error message at some point about not finding a file – either /usr/bin/Xorg or /usr/bin/cinnamon. Sorry I can’t remember exactly, I’ve done a lot of fiddling about to try to fix it.

1. 29.1

Chris

I’ve now abandoned Cinnamon and am using Ubuntu 12.10 with Gnome Classic. I’ve tried both Cinnamon and MATE a few times, but never got them to work properly. I’m fairly sure the problems are with configuration files for window managers/desktop managers. Since most Linux users will have tried a few distributions I think the installation process needs refinement to delete/update previous configuration files.

1. 29.1.1

Leo

Hi, i’m using Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon.!! its awsome.!!

3. 28

JGJavaDev

I am new to linux GUI’s and coming from windows 7 and osx I find Unity very intuitive and simple to use. I have always disliked the “start menu” paradigm as I find it to be cumbersome and unattractive. Mint to me looks like a very stylized XP. I will install it and see if there is some novel functionality but its appearance at first blush I do not find compelling.

1. 28.1

finid

Welcome to a universe of freedom and lots of choices.

4. 27

fu

i followed your instruction but im still forced to unity.

should i disable or uninstall something first before i could activate this one?

1. 27.1

finid

Try all the options in the Session menu of the login screen until you get Cinnamon. I think Cinnamon 1.6 is buggy in this regard.

5. 26
  6. 25

Phil T

Cheers for this.
    Personally, I feel that Canonical have taken a wrong turn with Unity. Having used LinuxMint on a couple of my machines I love Cinnamon – Canonical should too 😉

7. 24

Burhan KILINC

Because I could not move unity taskbar to bottom, I installed cinnamon and liked it. I guess I will use it for a long time. In the meantime Unity may improve, but I don’t like to change my working environment so often. Right now, cinnamon works for me.

8. 23

Nili

Me too followed the method and installed okay without a problem, Really nice and clean desktop. Thank you so much!

9. 22

Tim

If I wanted Windows 7, I’d install Windows 7.

1. 22.1

raj

Then go ahead use that — what r u doing here ?! May I ask this question here ? Sorry dnt feel bad.

2. 22.2

ubuntu-is-bloated

You’re a lucky guy !! I dont like windows but they have top performance.

On ubuntu 12.04 i have the 30% of the 3d game performance i had on previous versions !
      I must test other window managers.

10. 21

Joe Cool

I run Ubuntu 12.04 in a VM. I followed the instructions exactly and I ended up with what I had before except for:

1. A bar at the bottom that shows the four virtual desktops and a button where I can click to minimize all windows.
    2. Now when I hit the Windows key, nothing happens. It used to bring the handy application launcher.

1. 21.1

Egor

It’s impossible to use Cinnamon under VM. Should be fixed in next version. What you see is the fallback mode.

1. 21.1.1

finid

Not true. I’ve used Cinnamon (still use it) in VM (Virtualbox).

11. 20

aurisonea

Thanks for tutorial, great job, is working 100%

1. 20.1

praful

sorry to say this but it doesn’t work for me.
      i tried same repository to install desktop but bad luck.

1. 20.1.1

finid

I believe that Cinnamon is now available in Ubuntu’s repo. Search and install it using Software Center, or use sudo apt-get install cinnamon.

1. 20.1.1.1

Richard

I had to add ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable first. can add it via synaptic if you prefer that method.

12. 19

Drmzindec

Thanks, i have alwyas liked cinnamon more than unity.

13. 18

Bom

Hi, thanks for the manual. I like to try different GUIs, but I still have come to love unity in 12.04.

14. 17

foobantu

Hi,

Thanks a lot !!

I followed the method and now Cinnamon is installed and working fine.

Thank you very much.

15. 16

pst007x

If I didn’t like Unity so much, Cinnamon would be my choice of desktop. Works really well and looks great…. thanks