Related Articles

1. 12

Terry

Looks like the desktop setup I used on an AMD 5×86 133 many years ago.
    Blackbox was my preferred desktop then….
    Thought I had some old screenshots someplace.

2. 11

Arkanabar

There’s also Madbox, currently based on Precise Pangolin. Right now I have open mousepad, lxterminal, and 2 firefox windows with a total of 7 tabs between them, and using 340MB of RAM.

3. 10

alex

I would have looked at Linux Lite to. Ubuntu based with a very good ootb experience everything just works, networking, flash etc etc. Seems to be a fast mover on Distrowatch to. Definitely my find of 2012!

4. 9

cornel panceac

Can Semplice play flash videos? if yes, how well? and on what video card? thank you

5. 8

Barnabyh

You can view the corresponding top here: https://picasaweb.google.com/105913026379187930691/Screenshots?authuser=0&feat=directlink
    For some reason it didn’t cut and paste.

6. 7

Barnabyh

Hi finid, as others have said, Crunchbang is very similar but older. Both are a good fit, but while Semplice is following unstable CB is on stable for Statler (also known as 10) and on testing channel for the upcoming Waldorf which will then be the new stable. Or you just stay on Testing.
    I’ve been running it now for 2 months without nay problems. It uses the graphical Debian installer so you can also get LVM and encryption.

Here’s my output after 2hrs45mins of browsing with Chromium, 4 tabs open:

total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 3795 954 2841 0 2 448
    -/+ buffers/cache: 502 3292
    Swap: 2925 0 2925
    Total: 6720 954 5766

7. Pingback: Links 4/1/2013: Bodhi 2.2.0, Semplice Linux 3.0 | Techrights

8. 6

rich

I dual boot Bodhi and Debian with LXDE desktop. Both work very well with low spec computers. Bodhi has more up-to-date kernal and more bling. Debian gives me sense of stability.

9. 5

JamesM

I would also consider Bodhi, which uses E17.

10. 4

drake lago

Zorin lite, Puppy Linux, WattOs, PCLinuxOs LXDE, Lubuntu, to name a few light weight distros.. AntiX also is excellent, it runs about 80 mb with no open programs.

11. 3

secdroid

Crunchbang might be a better choice, owing to use of Stable plus Backports. I’ve been using it on two machines for quite a while. Very solid. You *will* need to re-theme it, as the default theme is very, very dark.

1. 3.1

finid

With Firefox or similar browser running on any of your systems, can you post the output of free -mt and top (Shift + M)? For top, just show me the CPU and memory usage of the first five lines.

12. 2

noname

well.. there’s a other distro that is built almost the same way. it’s a light weight debian (stable and unstable) distro with openbox –> crunchbang.org

1. 2.1

finid

Thanks. I should start making a list of such distros.