Dual-boot Windows 7 and Kali Linux

The next partition will be mounted at /. A new installation of Kali Linux takes up about 6.4 GB of disk space, so any amount greater than that will do. For the test installation, I gave it 60 GB, which is way too much, so you do not have to do the same. About 10-12 GB is more than enough. Continue.
Dual-boot Windows 7 and Kali Linux

Here are the details of the new partition. Scroll to “Done setting up the partition,” then click Continue.
Dual-boot Windows 7 and Kali Linux

For the home partition, I gave it a disk space of 100 GB. Continue.
Kali Linux 1.0

Dual-boot Windows 7 and Kali Linux

For Swap, 2 GB is good enough. Continue.
Dual-boot Windows 7 and Kali Linux

Here are the default details of the new partition. To specify that it be used as a Swap partition, double-click the “Use as” line.
Kali Linux

Then select “swap area.” Continue.
Kali Linux Windows 7 dual-boot

Scroll to “Done setting up the partition,” then click Continue.
Kali Linux dual-boot Windows 7

With all the partitions created, scroll to “Finish partitioning and write changes to disk.” Continue. Make note of the device number of the boot partition. Here, it is sda5. You’ll need it later.
Dual-boot Windows 7 and Kali Linux

Select “Yes.” Continue.
Dual-boot Windows 7 and Kali Linux

By default, the installer will want to install GRUB, the boot loader, in the Master Boot Record (MBR). However, for setting up this dual-boot system, we want GRUB in the boot partition. So, select “No.” Continue.
Dual-boot Windows 7 and Kali Linux

This is where you have to specify where GRUB should be installed. For this test system, it is /dev/sda5. Continue.
Dual-boot Windows 7 and Kali Linux

After installation, the computer will reboot into Windows 7. The next task involves add an entry for Kali Linux in Windows 7′s boot menu.

3. Add Kali Linux to Windows 7′s boot menu: The simplest graphical application for modifying the Boot Configuration Data of Window that I know, is EasyBCD. It is free for personal use. You may download it from here. Install it as you would any other Windows application. The main window is shown below. To add an entry for Kali Linux in the boot menu, click on the Add New Entry tab.
Windows 7 EasyBCD

Then click on the Linux/BSD tab. From the Type dropdown menu, select GRUB 2. Modify the name field to reflect the name of the distribution you are adding. From the Drive menu, you can either select the specific partition corresponding to the boot partition of the Kali Linux installation or let EasyBCD automatically locate and load it. Either one will work. Note that EasyBCD’s drive numbers and the device numbers of the Linux partitions do not match. For example, in this test installation, the boot partition is /dev/sda5, but the corresponding drive number in EasyBCD is Partition 3. The size of the partition helps to determine which one it is. Click the Add Entry button when wll the options have been specified.
Windows 7 EasyBCD Linux GRUB 2

From the Edit Boot Menu tab, you can see a preview of the entries that will appear in the Windows 7 boot menu. Exit EasyBCD and reboot the computer. That should do it.
Windows 7 Kali Linux EasyBCD Preview

Extra: Here are all the partitions on the HDD as seen from the Windows 7 partition manager.
Windows 7, Kali Linux Partitions

0saves
To have articles like this delivered automatically to your Feed Reader or Inbox, subscribe via RSS or email.

1. Matheus says:

Thank you very much! Couldn’t find this tutorial in my own language, when it was hard to find it in English as well. Thank you sir!

2. NICK says:

You need to set it / not /boot ;)

3. krishna says:

hi all nice info i am running windows 7 ultimate in c drive and have 2 more logical partitions amd 1 unallocated partition/space. i want to install in 1 of these 2 logical partitions not having windows. how may i do this?
    should i have to remerge partitions to c and d drives and repartite usind kali? please suggest me way to install and dual boot it with win 7 so that i wont get any problems in my existing windows….thanx in advance for help

• Divik says:

How much memory you want to allocate to Kali ?

For me I have overall 500 Gb HDD so I allocated 170 to Windows and 100 Gb to Kali and rest to my Data that can be use both in Kali and Windows.

Please post your windows Disk Storage map to Understand.

How to Open Disk Storage Map.
      Right Click on My Computer->Manage->on left panel Disk Management.

Post that Image to help you better.
      contact me via mail :- dbz.divik@gmail.com

4. Julien says:

Doesn’t work for me to :-(

5. Alex says:

I followed the instructions and installed kali into my laptop and now it’s saying:

“BOOTMGR is missing
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Dol to restart”

I am unable to boot either OS.

How do i fix this? Help please!

6. Divik says:

Thanks but right now I’m accessing it by using other account
    user name :- root
    password :- the one which I created at time of installing it..

7. Troy says:

I did it as specified and my computer boots to missing operating system! Thats it! I boot to windows boot manager and i get this File: \Boot\BCD Status: 0xc0000225 Info: An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

What is the best way to fix this, I was thinking reinstall kali again, but change a step or 2 with the boot options or grub…I dont want to screw it up worse though….it seemed to boot fine when i made the new partition with windows disk manager…so i went ahead to see if kali would install and it seemed all good until the step where it was supposed to boot to windows for the last steps….lol

I hope i did not screw it up too bad….pls help! Thx.

8. Divik says:

Hi have installed Kali as you told.
    It is opening as well as but I have a problem in Authentication as it is showing only login for Other User and if I’m typing my username and password “Auth. Faliure”

Shouldn’t you be logging in as KY? Is that the user you created during installation?

• Divik says:

I can’t click on that USER only other option is avail to me.

If that is the user you created during installation and you cannot click on it, then obviously, something’s not right. If you set root’s password during installation, try logging in with root as the user account. If you can do that, you can then created another user see if that works.

• Divik says:

I tried to using other option and trying enter my user name but still auth failure.

Is there anyway dat not to create password while installing

• Divik says:

I reinstalled Kali but same error can login

• Suat says:

Try to add a new user at login screen by holding CTRL+ALT F2 type the following command without quotes:”su” and give root passwd

if you don`t have access to root password then you can try this “sudo passwd” for to create a new one
          Once you got the root access you can add a new user by typing : “adduser divik” hit the enter and choose a password for the newly created user account. When you are done with that now you can exit or reboot or hold down CTRL+ALT F7 to go back to login screen and login with your new user account info.

9. Shariq says:

I have Lenevo G580 and I have install Win764, when I follow above procedure but I have more than 4 partition but its not appear. during procedure