There are several menu styles available for users of the K Desktop Environment. Virtually all, should be familiar with the Classic menu, the Kickoff menu, and Lancelot. I have recently published several articles on the Takeoff Launcher, and there is, of course, Mandriva’s ROSA Launcher (view some screen shots here).
Today, I bring another menu style to your attention. It is called AppMenu-QML. It is closer in style to Lancelot than to the others, and was coded and currently maintained by Glad Deschrijver. Like every application, it has a few shortcomings, but is quite usable. Installing it is very simple, and the steps involved are the same regardless of the distribution you are using. For this tutorial, Fedora 16 KDE, the KDE Spin of the latest stable version of Feodra, was used.
To install it, click anywhere on the panel, and select Panel Options > Add Widgets. When the widgets panel opens, click on Get New Widgets > Download New Plasma Widgets. On the window that opens, type “appmenu” in the search box. The only result returned should be Appmenu-QML. Click Install button.
After installation, click on Panel Options > Add Widgets again. Then type “qml” into the search field. The AppMenu-QML icon should appear. To add it to the panel, double-click it.
Like all the menus, AppMenu-QML is customizable. To open the settings window, right-click on the icon (of AppMenu-QML) and select Application Launcher (QML) Settings. The main settings page is shown here. From there, you can customize the dimensions and change the icon.
- Homerun: Quite possibly the best app launcher for your desktop
- How to install Steam Client on Fedora 20
- How to deploy OSSEC across a large network of systems from RPMs
- Cairo-Dock 3.3 released. Install it on Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon
- Fedora 21 Workstation: GNOME 3. KDE and Anaconda screenshots
- Regarding Fedora 19 kernel upgrades and VirtualBox kernel modules
- From GNOME 3 to GNOME Classic in 3 extensions, or why GNOME Classic has become redundant
- How to delete boot managers from a UEFI boot menu
Subscribe by Email
Sign up to automatically receive the latest articles and tutorials in your Inbox.
Reach out & follow us
- TwitterFollow us on Twitter
- Google PlusJoin a prestigious circle
- RSS FeedSubscribe to our RSS Feed
- EmailReach out to us via email
- How to replace LibreOffice with Apache OpenOffice on Fedora 20 29 comments
- CAINE 6 "Dark Matter" review 12 comments
- The pain of trying to install a .deb package on Fedora using Alien 7 comments
- The search for a usable Markdown editor for my Linux desktop 5 comments
- The best Markdown editors for Linux 3 comments
- Why I switched from Postgres to MongoDB, then to Neo4j 2 comments
- ROSA Desktop Fresh R4 KDE review 2 comments
- finid: Reinstall Windows, then reinstall Mint, but choose the optio…
- Henk ter Elst: I have an Acer X3470. Starting installation. NO windows …
- finid: I still find that strange. Try reinstalling Mint, but this t…
- Henk ter Elst: Hallo Finid. CSM: Enable or disable to load from other devi…
- santosh: it not work with neither nokiaX3c2 nor zte mf190 as modem …