There are several menu styles available for users of the K Desktop Environment. Virtually all, should be familiar with the Classic menu, the Kickoff menu, and Lancelot. I have recently published several articles on the Takeoff Launcher, and there is, of course, Mandriva’s ROSA Launcher (view some screen shots here).
Today, I bring another menu style to your attention. It is called AppMenu-QML. It is closer in style to Lancelot than to the others, and was coded and currently maintained by Glad Deschrijver. Like every application, it has a few shortcomings, but is quite usable. Installing it is very simple, and the steps involved are the same regardless of the distribution you are using. For this tutorial, Fedora 16 KDE, the KDE Spin of the latest stable version of Feodra, was used.
To install it, click anywhere on the panel, and select Panel Options > Add Widgets. When the widgets panel opens, click on Get New Widgets > Download New Plasma Widgets. On the window that opens, type “appmenu” in the search box. The only result returned should be Appmenu-QML. Click Install button.
After installation, click on Panel Options > Add Widgets again. Then type “qml” into the search field. The AppMenu-QML icon should appear. To add it to the panel, double-click it.
Like all the menus, AppMenu-QML is customizable. To open the settings window, right-click on the icon (of AppMenu-QML) and select Application Launcher (QML) Settings. The main settings page is shown here. From there, you can customize the dimensions and change the icon.
- Homerun: Quite possibly the best app launcher for your desktop
- Fedora 20 GNOME 3 and KDE preview
- How to install Steam Client on Fedora 20
- How to install Lekture on Fedora 19 KDE
- How to deploy OSSEC across a large network of systems from RPMs
- How to install HotShots on Fedora 19 and Ubuntu 13.04
- Cairo-Dock 3.3 released. Install it on Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon
- GNOME Software preview on Fedora 20 alpha
Subscribe by Email
Sign up to automatically receive the latest articles and tutorials in your Inbox.
Reach out & follow us
- TwitterFollow us on Twitter
- Google PlusJoin a prestigious circle
- RSS FeedSubscribe to our RSS Feed
- EmailReach out to us via email
- Samsung TVs in Africa July 3, 2014
- Milo Moiré and The Script System: Art or nudity for the heck of it? July 3, 2014
- Does mobile phone use affect the brains of teenagers? May 22, 2014
- FDA approves Advantame, a sugar substitute or high-intensity sweetener May 19, 2014
- Ukraine’s declining population May 18, 2014
- A titanosaur is the largest known animal ever to walk the Earth May 18, 2014
- Russia to suspend American GPS sites on Russian territory May 13, 2014
- finid: Ok, then, throw that computer you used to write your comment…
- Charlie: Made in China and by Chinese....hell to the NO. No thank yo…
- alireza: I think deepin can be a good alternative to mint & ... …
- hairyback: Thanks for the heads up- Installed three programs and so far…
- finid: I found the store to be completely bug ridden, to the point …