There are several menu styles available for users of the K Desktop Environment. Virtually all, should be familiar with the Classic menu, the Kickoff menu, and Lancelot. I have recently published several articles on the Takeoff Launcher, and there is, of course, Mandriva’s ROSA Launcher (view some screen shots here).
Today, I bring another menu style to your attention. It is called AppMenu-QML. It is closer in style to Lancelot than to the others, and was coded and currently maintained by Glad Deschrijver. Like every application, it has a few shortcomings, but is quite usable. Installing it is very simple, and the steps involved are the same regardless of the distribution you are using. For this tutorial, Fedora 16 KDE, the KDE Spin of the latest stable version of Feodra, was used.
To install it, click anywhere on the panel, and select Panel Options > Add Widgets. When the widgets panel opens, click on Get New Widgets > Download New Plasma Widgets. On the window that opens, type “appmenu” in the search box. The only result returned should be Appmenu-QML. Click Install button.
After installation, click on Panel Options > Add Widgets again. Then type “qml” into the search field. The AppMenu-QML icon should appear. To add it to the panel, double-click it.
Like all the menus, AppMenu-QML is customizable. To open the settings window, right-click on the icon (of AppMenu-QML) and select Application Launcher (QML) Settings. The main settings page is shown here. From there, you can customize the dimensions and change the icon.
- Homerun: Quite possibly the best app launcher for your desktop
- How to install Steam Client on Fedora 20
- How to deploy OSSEC across a large network of systems from RPMs
- DevAssistant: A developer’s best friend
- Fedora 21 Workstation: GNOME 3. KDE and Anaconda screenshots
- Regarding Fedora 19 kernel upgrades and VirtualBox kernel modules
- Digital Science Studio and the HTTP code: 500, type: java.io.IOException error
- From GNOME 3 to GNOME Classic in 3 extensions, or why GNOME Classic has become redundant
Subscribe by Email
Sign up to automatically receive the latest articles and tutorials in your Inbox.
Reach out & follow us
- TwitterFollow us on Twitter
- Google PlusJoin a prestigious circle
- RSS FeedSubscribe to our RSS Feed
- EmailReach out to us via email
- saeed: i have a dell model 5010 labtop. i buy it 3 years ago. …
- finid: Are you attempting to install it on a recent computer or an …
- saeed: i first istall win7 and next kali. what is UEFI firmware? …
- finid: What type of PC are you installing on? Using UEFI firmware o…
- saeed: i install win7 and kali but i can,t see boot menu for select…